New Romney is not significantly different in age from the nearby village of Old Romney. However New Romney, now about a mile and a half from the seafront, was originally a harbour town at the mouth of the River Rother.
New Romney is one of the original Cinque Ports of England and was a crucial part of England’s naval defence for much of its history
The station was originally called New Romney & Littlestone with on-Sea being added in October 1888. In 1927 a single line extension was built with an unprotected level crossing to an exchange siding with the adjacent Romney Hythe and Dymchurch Railway station on the opposite side of the Station Road; it was used to deliver coal to that railway
During World War II a fleet of floating concrete harbour pieces (called Mulberry Harbours) were sailed across the English Channel to France to aid Allied landings there. One of these harbour pieces remains, embedded in a sandbank just off the coast by Littlestone-on-Sea and is clearly visible at low tide. Further up the coast oil was pumped under the English Channel for use by allied troops by the Pipe Line Under The Ocean or Pluto for short
In the latter part of the thirteenth century a series of severe storms weakened the coastal defences of Romney Marsh, and the South England flood of February 1287 almost destroyed the town, as it did destroy the nearby ancient parish of Broomhill. The harbour and town were filled with sand, silt, mud and debris, and the River Rother changed course to run out into the sea near Rye, Sussex. The mud, silt and sand were never entirely removed from the town, which is why many old buildings, especially the church, have steps leading down into them from the present pavement level.
St Nicholas was the first church built in New Romney. Started in 1080 by Bishop Odo half brother to William the Conqueror, it was completed 50 years later in 1130. Today, St Nicholas is one of those churches supported by the Romney Marsh Historic Churches Trus
The earliest record of Romney dates from 791 AD. The name, once thought a corruption of Roman-ney, is now believed to derive from the Saxon “rumnea”, meaning marsh water.
From the 1300’s till 1724, smuggling of wool (Owling) was rife. But in 1724, the French found they could obtain cheaper wool from Ireland. However, the smuggling in the area continued till the 1840’s when the Excise men mostly stopped it.
A local legend tell that in the late 1700’s a young girl was found hanged in the New Inn and that her ghostly form can be seen walking the rooms and passageways