ROTARY CLUB OF ROMNEY MARSH

MINUTES OF COUNCIL MEETING HELD ON 4TH NOVEMBER, 2019, AT
33 ROLFE LANE, NEW ROMNEY, TN28 8JP

1. APOLOGIES: Nigel Whiteley, David Bateman, Stephen Hagues, Jim Lawrence, Gill Singfield

2. MINUTES OF LAST MEETING: Accepted

3. MATTERS ARISING:

Peter Sloper Fund: It was agreed at the last Business Meeting to keep just £1.00 in the Account (to maintain the account for historic reasons) – 2 recent applicants have been written to by Stephen Hagues and advised that there is no money left in the Fund. The existence of the Fund will no longer be advertised.

Roger had received a letter from CARM with thanks for the recent £500 donation – the (topped up) proceeds from the Club’s Haywardians’ Concert. As a result of the evening CARM also recruited 2 new volunteers (one being Penny Harrison).

4. TREASURER’S REPORT: Roger reported that the balances in the Club Accounts are as follows : –
General Account – 1008
Hospitality – 1642
Fundraising – 1557 Rotary Foundation – 296

£500 was recently donated to CARM – as indicated above.
£300 has been budgeted for gratuities for the Warren staff – to be recommended for approval by Members at the next Business Meeting.

5. CLUB SERVICE: The Partners’ Night at Demetrios was well attended.
The Menu and Attendance Sheet for the Partners’ Night/Christmas Dinner will be put on the Board at the Meeting on 7th November: the Dinner will be on Thursday, 19th December, and a cheque for £300 – amount previously approved- will be presented to the Brass Band Academy on the night.

6. FUNDRAISING:

Roger has applied for the Licence for the Sleigh Collections.
|Patrick has discussed the Sleigh routes with Denis Wimble and Stephen Aldridge – the routes will take in the new housing estate off Cockreed Lane.
There will be a Sleigh briefing for Members on 28th November.
Suru is to be asked if he will, as previously, source lollipops.

Roger advised that Janet Thomas has offered help from the Scouts during the collections. There was discussion about responsibility for the safety of the young people and Barbara is to make it clear – when contacting the various Scout Leaders – that responsibility for the safety of the young people lies with the scouting organisation, although the Rotary Club will be giving them some of our own guidelines and asking that there should be no more than 6 Scouts (plus their Leaders) on any night when they are out collecting with us.
Trevor is sourcing collection bins with lids and identity badges/lanyards, to be worn
by Collectors – especially relevant to collecting at Sainsburys due to their new requirements. (Since received by Trevor).
Sainsburys terms form, for collecting on its premises, had been completed by Roger, was signed by Trevor, and is to be delivered by Barbara to Sainsburys. (Since done).
Barbara has sent an email to Susie Govett asking for details of the Lantern Parade. Reply since received.
Barbara is to ensure that her First Aid Box will be on the Sleigh – for use by Club Members only.

7. INTERNATIONAL – No Report.

8. VOCATIONAL

The Cinque Ports Raid went well and the talk about the Battle of Britain Museum was very interesting – as was the visit to the Battle of Britain Museum attended by several members.

The talk by the speaker from the Ukrainian Embassy, taking place on 7th November, will be well attended – 30 people are attending, including the Mayor of New Romney.

Following a query about whether there are too many events, a decision about whether to go ahead with a proposed Pub Games Night at The Warren will be raised at the next Business Meeting.

Roger suggested that, after Christmas, we have more ‘My Job’ talks – as members enjoyed Denis Wimble’s recent talk so much. Trevor said that 2 or 3 other people are lined up to give talks.

9. YOUTH.

· Gill sent in her Report, saying that she had attended a joint meeting for youth and had been asked if the Club would host another Hog Roast next summer – there had been very positive comments about the last one. Gill will
liaise with Kevin about this.
· There are 10 members attending the Young Chef meeting.
· Leaflets regarding the Young Writers’ competition are being delivered.
· The Club has already agreed to increase its contribution towards a minibus for the Beacon School to £1000.00 – Gill would like to visit the School when she has recovered from her recent operation.

10. FOUNDATION – AND WEBSITE

Sarah said that the Website is OK and is likely to be updated soon.

11. ATTENDANCE – Generally good.

12. AOB

Re. the question of whether we are having too many events, Sarah said she thinks that we should focus on an annual event, possibly at St. Mary’s Bay Village Hall. To be considered, later.

Trevor said that:
· nominations for ‘Pride of New Romney’ do not close until the end of March 2020 and that the Club might be nominated again.
· He has made several enquiries regarding selling the signed jockey shirt donated to the Club and has now sent photographs to a specialist auction site to see if there is any interest.
· The Circus has contacted him about its visit to New Romney next year
· The Royal British Legion was fundraising at Aldi, Hythe, and using a contactless payment machine –it was apparently doing ok (cost £160 for 1 week hire) – which may be of future interest to us
· The Club received an offer of a Christmas Tree, for Charity – various suitable recipients had been considered already and Trevor agreed to have a word with Raymond Moses to ask if he wanted it for the Church.
· Bowls Club Quiz Night – 15th November – Trevor is trying to get 2 Rotary Club teams to enter.

Barbara suggested that, at the next Business Meeting, members should be asked to approve the routine invitation of Rotary widows/partners to all of our Partners’ Nights and other social events where guests are welcome, on a paying basis (other than at the Christmas Partners’ Night when they will continue to be paid for as the Club’s guests).

No Club meeting on 26th December (Boxing Day). There will be a Meeting on 2nd January 2020.

NEXT COUNCIL MEETING: 6th January 2020.

ROTARY CLUB OF ROMNEY MARSH
MINUTES OF CLUB Council MEETING – 7th October 2019.
Apologies
Roger Constable
1 Minutes of the last meeting: Approved
2. Matters arising: None
3. Correspondence: The Secretary reported that he had received newsletters from Demelza House and from Mercy ships updating the club on activities.
The President advised that recently 2 further applications had been received for support from the Peter Sloper fund which is now empty. The applications are from siblings of Zena Pyott who is known to several members of the club. One of the applications satisfies the criteria of the fund whilst the other does not. After much discussion Council felt unable to provide support as the fund is now empty. Furthermore, Council recommends that the fund now be closed.
4. Finance:
General Account £1630.87
Hospitality £1,630.87
Fundraising £2716.11
Foundation £296
Peter Sloper £0
5 Committee reports:
Club Service: Partners night on 31st October is a Greek night at Demetrios in Greatstone – cash only.
Haywardians in concert was not well attended and raised £339.60. The Treasurer has suggested that we top this up to £500 and donate that to CARM. No objection from Council.
Barn dance 9th November in aid of Porchlight. Noted that several members unable to attend and a question was raised that we may be trying to do too much over a busy period. President to find out if there is a penalty for cancellation. Publicity at this stage to continue for this fund-raising event.
Christmas partners night 19th December. Brass band academy will be performing and a donation of £300 in recommended.
Jockey shirt to be put on eBay by President with a reserve of £250.
Our banner is now on the litter picking trailer.
Community Service: Patrick has chaired a small group to consider the sleigh collection for this year. (see attached notes). Agreed to recommend this to club at business meeting.
Patrick requested that he present an item on Health and Safety to club before this year’s sleigh collection. Agreed.
International: The visit to Gelsenkirchen is now on the board.
Vocational: District speaker on youth matters 10th October
Cinque Ports raid on our club 24th with speaker from the Kent Battle of Britain museum Charity. Seventy-five pounds donation to be made to the charity from the club.
Confirmed that we have a speaker from the Ukrainian Embassy on 7th November. (encourage others to attend). Members to let the President have a list of who he should invite.
Discussion took place on the Object of Rotary and the four way test which is often read out in other clubs. (copied below for information).
“Object of Rotary
The Object of Rotary is to encourage and foster the ideal of service as a basis of worthy enterprise and, in particular, to encourage and foster:
· FIRST: The development of acquaintance as an opportunity for service;
· SECOND: High ethical standards in business and professions; the recognition of the worthiness of all useful occupations; and the dignifying of each Rotarian’s occupation as an opportunity to serve society;
· THIRD: The application of the ideal of service in each Rotarian’s personal, business, and community life;
· FOURTH: The advancement of international understanding, goodwill, and peace through a world fellowship of business and professional persons united in the ideal of service.
The Four-Way Test
The Four-Way Test is a nonpartisan and nonsectarian ethical guide for Rotarians to use for their personal and professional relationships. The test has been translated into more than 100 languages, and Rotarians recite it at club meetings: Of the things we think, say or do
1. Is it the TRUTH?
2. Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3. Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4. Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?”

Youth Gill advised that she had been contacted by Peter Bonner inviting the club (10spaces) to the Young Chef competition to be held at Folkestone College on the 21st November. This to be placed on the board on Thursday.
Gill is still working on generating interest in the Young Writer competition.
John Wren speaker on Thursday 10th.
Foundation Nothing to report from Sarah.
Risk Management Nothing to report
6 Attendance: Generally good.
7 Any Other Business.
Pride of New Romney to be persued again.
David noted our funds and commented that they are there to be used to benefit our community. All agreed but Prudence is watching, however.
Nigel encouraged members to urge the club to think again about our support for the eradication of Polio campaign.
President he had been requested by Denis to blind copy members when sending out email communications to help avoid hacking threats.
It was suggested that the club consider an occasional get together with the Hythe/Romney Marsh Lions club. (it was noted that Phil Bowman has moved over here from Australia).
8. Date of next meeting: 17th October Business meeting. Council meeting 4th November. (apologies given from David and Gill)

 

 

ROTARY CLUB OF ROMNEY MARSH
MINUTES OF CLUB Council MEETING – 2nd September 2019.
Apologies
David Bateman
1 Minutes of the last meeting: Approved
2. Matters arising: None
3. Correspondence:
President reported that he had received an email from District regarding Insurance. Secretary to study contents.
Communication from John Lawson Circus offering the club a collection when they visit again in April. Council welcomed this.
4. Finance:
General Account £1387.
Hospitality £1,566.25
Fundraising £2774.11
Foundation £296
5 Committee reports:
Club Service: Partners night on 29th August at Newchurch 25 attended.
Partners night on 31st October is a Greek night at Demetrios in Greatstone -£24 to include tip.
Christmas party at the ship new Romney on 19th December. Couple who house the sleigh to be invited. A discussion to be held with Peter regarding Brass band.
Haywardians in concert Saturday 28th September tickets £10 available.
Quiz night venue to be at the Bowls club.
Community Service: Patrick is leading a small group to consider the sleigh collection for this year. Secretary to invite.
Newsletter produced and thanks to all involved,
International: Nothing to report
Vocational: Jim referred to the club calendar.
Curios Brewery visit 24th sept £15 a head.
Cinque Ports raid on our club 24th October with speaker Dave Brockenhurst from Hawkinge Battle of Britain Museum. Visit to museum on 29th Oct.
Confirmed to invite a speaker from Ukrainian Embassy 7th November. Secretary to invite.
Youth Gill advised that she was promoting the young writer’s competition with our schools.
Foundation Recommend that a polio speaker be invited to talk with the club in January. Sarah and Jim to progress updating web site.
Risk Management Nothing to report. Discussion on availability of taking noncash monies on sleigh.
6 Attendance: Generally
7. Date of next meeting: 19th September Business meeting. Council meeting 7th September.

 

 

ROTARY CLUB OF ROMNEY MARSH
MINUTES OF CLUB Council MEETING – 5th August 2019.
Apologies
David Bateman, Nigel Whiteley, Roger Constable
1 Minutes of the last meeting: Approved
2. Matters arising: None
3. Correspondence:
Stephen H reported that he had received emails from District regarding Polio and that RIBI had achieved its fund-raising target with our district raising $ 118,350. Polio day is the 24th October.
Letter received from Romney Marsh Litter pickers group requesting a £100 donation to help pay for the equipment they use. The club would get a sign of the club on their trailer. Sarah to check out the details and if suitable to recommend to club that this donation be approved.
David Lister from District has confirmed that the planned visit to our club as part of the Cinque Ports raids will be on the 24th October 2019. Our planned speaker on that evening is from the Battle of Britain Museum at Hawkinge.
Demelza Rotary evening. Roger C is planning to attend.
Club has been invited to attend the Martha Trust open day on the 31st August. To be placed on the circulation board.
The cluster group has suggested that Games be held around the South Kent area. There was little enthusiasm from Council.
4. Finance:
General Account £1966.66 with 2 subs outstanding. RIBI capitation of £896 and District subs of £237 paid.
Hospitality £1,440.19
Fundraising £5052.20 (monies for 10k run and bill for nice work due. Prudence suggests we have £ 2,500 available)
Foundation £3.50
Peter Sloper £272.57
The bowls club have said the do not want the £100 contribution from the club. It was suggested that this money could instead be used as our contribution to litter pickers.
5 Committee reports:
Club Service: Partners night on 29th August at Newchurch has 29 so far Could take 5 more maximum. Partners night on 31st October is a Greek night at Demetrios in Greatstone.
Haywardians in concert Saturday 28th September tickets £10 available.
When members contact Kevin directly to give apologies it would be helpful if the President or Secretary could also be advised so that apologies match.
Quiz night venue to be at the Bowls club.
Community Service: Patrick is organising a small group to consider the sleigh collection for this year. Newsletter is work in progress.
International: Nothing to report
Vocational: Jim referred to the club calendar.
Raid from Folkestone 8th August
Porchlight speaker 22nd August
Our Christmas party night it is suggested that we have the Shepway Brass band. 20th December at the Ship in New Romney.
Confirmed to invite a speaker from Ukrainian Embassy in November.
Youth Gill advised on activities of the Shepway group and their request that each of the 4 clubs contribute £2k each towards the Beacon school in Folkestone project. Gill recommended that we do not make this contribution. This was supported.
Young Carers event on the 4th August went well and had good support from the club. The president to thank the Golf club and Kevin.
Foundation Recommend that Purple End Polio now badges to be bought and then sold. Cost £400 (1000 badges). Sarah to lead.
Risk Management Nothing to report
6 Attendance: Generally good.
7 Any Other Business.
Following on from the presentation of the Dementia Friendly Community Project it was reported that they had raised £250 out of the £400 needed to launch the project. Agreed to recommend to club that a £100 donation be made.
The president reported how he would like charities to align in his year as follows
10k run and Country fayre – Martha Trust
Haywardians in Concert – CARM
Barn dance – Porchlight
Quiz night – Paula Carr Trust
Others to be determined but with support to Salvation Army and the New Romney Counselling service.
No donation to the Looker.
Jockey shirt to enter a silent auction at Sandown park.
Pride of New Romney to be entered again.
8. Date of next meeting: 15th August Business meeting.

 

 

ROTARY CLUB OF ROMNEY MARSH
MINUTES OF CLUB Council MEETING – 1st July 2019.
Apologies
Sarah Day, David Bateman
1 Minutes of the last meeting: Approved
2. Matters arising: No further action at this stage regarding request for assistance for a basketball wheelchair and the New Romney Fire Brigade request.
3. Correspondence:
Stephen H reported that he had received the annual reminder from District that the club approve its annual compliance statement. Council considered and approved.
Porchlight have indicated that they would be willing to provide an update on their activities to the club.
It is suggested that the 500 euros donation from Gelsenkirchen rotary club be ring fenced to youth activities.
4. Finance:
General Account £341.13
Hospitality £1,289.99
Fundraising £2950.98 (several monies already allocated.)
Foundation £3.47
Peter Sloper £272.57
Roger advised that he would request subs from members later this week. He suggested that he would say something about the Peter Sloper fund at the next club meeting.
Discussion took place over whether a donation to the bowls club should be made. It was
agreed to recommend to club that a £100 donation be made.

5 Committee reports:
Club Service: Stewards rota completed, and menus updated. Next partners night on the 29th August at Newchurch. It was recognised that subject to demand there may not be enough space for all members and partners so it was agreed that places would be allocated on a first come basis. Barbara raised the issue of welfare support to club members which in her previous club had been led by club service. Discussion took place and it was suggested that this could be raised where appropriate at regular club meetings as happens presently.
Community Service: Forthcoming events -New Romney Country Fayre 27th and 10k run 28th July. President to nominate charities at next meeting against each event.
International: Board to go around regarding next year’s visit to Germany.
Vocational: Jim produced a draft list for discussion on visits and speakers. This to
updated in due course.
Youth Gill advised on activities of the Shepway group and the forthcoming
Young Carers event on the 4th August.
Foundation No report
Risk Management Nothing to report
6 Attendance: Generally good.
7 Any Other Business.
Members card to be circulated shortly.
8. Date of next meeting: 18th July Business meeting. Council meeting 5th August

 

ROTARY CLUB OF ROMNEY MARSH
MINUTES OF CLUB Council MEETING – 2nd April 2019.
Apologies
Stephen Aldridge, Sarah Day
1 Minutes of the last meeting: Approved
2 Correspondence:
Stephen H reported that he had now found our contributions to Foundation which amounted to £17,459 points. This enables the club to qualify for Paul Harris awards at no extra charge.
Stephen also referred to a letter he had received from Lydd Dementia Café. It was agreed that our proposed grant to the two Dementia cafes be put on hold for the time being.
Letter received from Gary Fogg thanking the Club for its donation to the Paula Carr Trust.
3 Finance:
General Account £707
Hospitality £1,513
Fundraising £1580
Foundation £223

4 Committee reports:
Club Service: Six clubs had now expressed an interest in the Calendar.
Community Service: Quiz night Saturday. Fundraising at the circus on their invitation Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Club Assembly/AGM 13th June. Handover night 27th June (smart Casual).
International: Steve Aldridge to confirm latest arrangements re 50th with German guests on Thursday’s meeting.
Vocational: Spencer to advise Sandwich that if they wished to raid. the 30th May is preferable.
Youth Roger confirmed that a Sandgate Primary school pupil had won the District competition and would now go forward to the National.
Foundation No report
Risk Management Nothing to report
5 Attendance: Generally upbeat.
6. Leave of Absence None
7. Membership
It was confirmed that the practise of interviewing prospective members before issuing a 7 day letter was being followed by the Membership and Information Committee and an interview will take place next week with new applicant Peter This is for the benefit of both the club and the applicant.
It was suggested that a period of ¾ weeks attendance by an applicant take place before issuing a 7-day letter so that all parties can get to know each other.

6 Any Other Business.
Nigel led a discussion on arrangements for the 50th anniversary dinner next 16th May.
Discussion took place again on the need to ensure Kevin is advised of apologies on the meal board, by email or telephoning by lunchtime on Wednesday and that if members wanted cheese instead of a pudding at the same time.
Stephen Advised that a new Stewards list had been produced which Trevor agreed to arrange to place on the website.

7. Date of next meeting: 30th April. Business meeting 18th Apri

 

 

ROTARY CLUB OF ROMNEY MARSH
MINUTES OF CLUB Council MEETING – 4th March 2019.
No apologies
1 Minutes of the last meeting: Approved
2 Correspondence:
The Dundee club in South Africa have reported that they have their patient vehicle.
Nice work need volunteers for car park duty at the forthcoming Lydd half marathon and 20k run. On the 10th March.

Sadly the president had heard that the Hythe president Derek Hancock had passed away.

The New Romney Country Fayre is to be held on the 27th July with our 10k run the day after.

Stephen H reported that he was in touch with District as it appeared that on the RIBI website that we had not recorded contributions to Foundation. He will report further in due course.
3 Finance:
General Account £220
Hospitality £1,511
Fundraising £8,251
Foundation £223
Discussion took place on the need to ensure Kevin is advised of apologies on the meal board by lunchtime on Wednesday and that if members wanted cheese instead of a pudding at the same time..
It was confirmed that the practise of interviewing prospective members before issuing a 7 day letter was being followed by the Membership and Information Committee and in fact such an interview had taken place earlier in the day.
4 Committee reports:
Club Service: A meeting of the 8 south east Kent cluster group is due to take place on the 12th May. It was agreed that they be canvassed on whether they wished to embark on a joint project to produce a calendar for 2020. The group are now producing a on-going list of events which each club is organising and the idea is to share that with the cluster.
Community Service: £545 raised by the Race night. Quiz night 6th April
International: The visit to Germany will not go ahead this year and this does not cause a problem with our German friends. When they visit us for our 50th anniversary it is proposed that our club pay for their meal- a total of £304 for 8 guests.
Vocational: The visit to New Hall Dymchurch is to take place on the 5th March. Cinque Ports visit to our club is planned for the 8th August.
Youth Roger has judged the young writer competition and there are 4 winners .It was suggested that they be given a voucher for £25 each.
Foundation Sarah reported that the web site was to be refreshed and that 3 potential members had contacted her by the site.
Risk Management Nothing to report
Charities The President suggested the following
a) Pilgrims Hospice -£1500
b) Demelza House -£2000
c) Dementia Café -£500
d) Chernobyl Children’s Lifeline – £1216 ( £ extra girls visit)
5 Attendance: Generally upbeat.
6. Leave of Absence Peter Russel, John Richley, Gill and Mark Singfield, David Bourne
7. Membership Several prospective new members in the pipeline
6 Any Other Business.
Nigel led a discussion on arrangements for the 50th anniversary dinner next 16th May.
7. Date of next meeting: 1st April

 

 

ROTARY CLUB OF ROMNEY MARSH
MINUTES OF CLUB Council MEETING – 4th February 2019.

Present : Nigel Whitely, Stephen Hagues, Roger Constable, Sarah Day, Trevor Harrison, Stephen Aldridge, Barbara Gold, Patrick Gold
1 Minutes of the last meeting: Approved
2 Correspondence:
a) Email received from Romney Marsh and Dymchurch Scouts thanking the club for its support to four scouts from the area who are hoping to attend the 2019 World Jamboree to be held in West Virginia.
b) Letter from Nice work asking the club if it could help provide steward support for the Lydd marathon on the 10th March. Agreed the circulate a board this week to the club asking for volunteers.

3 Finance:
General Account £264
Hospitality £1,516
Fundraising £8,814
Foundation £223
4 Committee reports:
Club Service: Following the presentation by Gary Fagg it was agreed to recommend to the club a donation of £1,000.
Community Service: Race Night 23 rd February discussed. Pilgrims Hospice Trust
presentation 28th February. Quiz night 6th April.
International: Nothing further to report at this point.
Vocational: Spencer to advise on his plans for visiting New Hall thought to be 5th April .
Foundation Sarah updated the council on her forthcoming grant application.
5 Attendance: Generally good.
6 Any Other Business
a) Stephen H advised council on his thoughts regarding awards. This was supported by Council. Stephen H to follow up with Club council members..
b) Nigel gave a brief update on arrangements for the 50th anniversary dinner next 16th May.
7. Date of next meeting: 4th March 2019