ROTARY CLUB OF ROMNEY MARSH

MINUTES OF COUNCIL MEETING HELD ON 7th September 2020, -Meeting held in President Barbara Gold’s garden

1. APOLOGIES: Peter WB; Sarah Day

2/3. DRAFT MINUTES OF LAST MEETING AND MATTERS ARISING – 3rd August 2020 Approved

4. Correspondence

From a Charity called Dandelion Time based in West Farleigh, Maidstone and Bethersden looking for assistance in providing a new therapeutic programme in West Farleigh to help more vulnerable children and families who are struggling with the effects of trauma, abuse or neglect. Children spend time with animals and doing craft activities to overcome emotional difficulties, grow in confidence and begin to love and trust again. Council felt this was a worthwhile cause and requested more information on the level of support given to/required by Romney

Marsh families/children.

From Tony Alexander Cinque Ports club Co-ordinator regarding the forthcoming Zoom meeting hosted by South Foreland on the 16th September. A zoom link to be sent out soon. The Secretary will forward to all members when available. President Barbara to introduce our members on the evening as usual.

From Roger Constable regarding parking issues for the 10k run. Roger offered a solution to the potential problem that if we could not use the Marsh Academy that we use St. Martins field. This was agreed as was the cancellation of the children’s race for this year only.

From Swim England -no further action

Mary’s meals- look again after co-vid.

5. TREASURER’S REPORT

General A/C £2122

Hospitality A/C £1853

Fundraising A/C £5055

Foundation A/C £2

Peter Sloper A/C 24

Donation of meal costs initiative has so far raised £555.

Yet to pay2nd instalment of RIBI capitation costs -£871

Honours Board inscription and new flap -say £150

The Treasurer’s report Proposal to switch bank accounts from NatWest to Lloyds New Romney (See attached)

The proposals contained in paragraph 3.0 of the attached report were approved by Council.

The treasurer reported that he now had the card reader and the donate button was now operating on our website. Final issues with PayPal being pursued.

The issue of gift aid was discussed, and it was noted that the Treasurer intended to issue new forms to all members in due course. Discussion regarding our automatic donation to the British Legion which is being clarified.

6. CLUB MEETINGS

No indoor meetings yet. Agreed to hold fellowship “get togethers” each Tuesday during September at 12.30pm for 1.00 outside the warren subject to weather permitting. Meal cost £15.00. These get togethers are “not a rotary meeting”. Zoom meetings to continue Thursdays at 7.00pm

7. COMMITTEE REPORTS

CLUB SERVICE-date for club charity golf day set for 28th April 2021. Agreed that we should play at the Warren course and eat at the LGC clubhouse (as we will have exclusive use). We will charge £40 for the event. Peter WB and Mark S are lead organizers.

Two teams from our club are attending the Folkestone charity golf event, on Thursday10th September at Sene Valley.

COMMUNITY SERVICE/ FUND RAISING/RISK MANAGEMENT

Still in lockdown. Patrick indicated that his committee was continuing to consider options for the Christmas collection. He reported that he had had discussions with Denis and Steve A who did not favor our normal street collections. He was still pursuing the issue of insurance. Patrick to produce options paper for next Council which will then go before the membership. The date for Sainsburys collection had been agreed as the 19th December and they need to see a copy of our Risk assessment and how we plan to ensure social distancing.

Nigel W has suggested that we run an on-line raffle. Patrick and his committee to consider and report back.

INTERNATIONAL

Nothing further

VOCATIONAL

Jim suggests three activities for the club

1. A visit to the Kino cinema in Rye plus a light meal

2. A cultural tour of New Romney pubs/gardens one lunchtime

3. A re-visit to Hawkinge Battle of Britain museum

Jim to circulate to members to see if there is interest

YOUTH.

Gill advised that from Sandgate school a pupil had won the national young artist competition and a pupil had been awarded a certificate in the young writer competition. The idea of Christmas boxes was supported as was each member being asked to consider donating a Christmas toy/gift, writing on the gift the suitable for age range. These would be distributed by Social services to appropriate families. Gill to co-ordinate with the assistance of the Secretary.

The Secretary advised that he was still enquiring through SS what our donation had provided. He will report in due course.

FOUNDATION /PR/WEBSITE

Website being updated.

8.ATTENDANCE -Generally good

9.AOB- The next community magazine deadline is the 26th October and Trevor requested a volunteer to write.

NEXT COUNCIL MEETING: 5th October 2020.

ROTARY CLUB OF ROMNEY MARSH

MINUTES OF COUNCIL MEETING HELD ON 3rd August 2020, -Meeting held in President Barbara Gold’s garden

1. APOLOGIES: None, full attendance

2/3. DRAFT MINUTES OF LAST MEETING AND MATTERS ARISING – 6th July 2020 Approved

4. Correspondence

It has been suggested by a member that Council might wish to consider extending the term of the President given the unprecedented times we are living through. This was debated and it was agreed that the club should stick to its current arrangements.

From Ray Seager regarding inviting members to take part in an on-line pig race. Agreed to leave it to individual members to decide if they wish to participate.

Message from Grayme Roxbury about creating a Community business fun day. Secretary to arrange a meeting with Patrick and Jim.

District are making available a public image membership grant. Refer to Sarah who was not at the meeting at that point to consider for January 2021.

5. TREASURER’S REPORT

General A/C £2452

Hospitality A/C £1773

Fundraising A/C £4733

Foundation A/C £2

Peter Sloper A/C 24

All subscriptions received. Final £300 donation to Shepway foodbank paid. Donation of meal costs initiative has so far raised £295 (from 5 members).

The Treasurer’s report Options for receiving donations in a changing world (See attached)

After debating it was agreed to propose to the club the following

(i) Purchase one iZettle contactless payment machine now at a cost of £29+VAT. We could leave this until we need it but by getting it now, we guarantee the discounted rate (normal cost is £59+VAT). Portable printers and base stations can be added later if needed

(ii) Open a PayPal charity account to enable a ‘donate’ button to be put onto the website.

Trevor was thanked for his well-researched report

Treasurer reported that he has produced a summary of the club insurance policy which is available should members want a copy.

6. CLUB MEETINGS

No indoor meetings yet. Agreed to hold fellowship “get togethers” each Tuesday during August at 3.00pm outside the warren subject to weather permitting. Meal cost £7.50 plus a voluntary contribution to hospitality of £ 2.00 plus a tip total £10. These get togethers are “not a rotary meeting”. Zoom meetings to continue Thursdays at 7.00pm

7. COMMITTEE REPORTS

CLUB SERVICE-nothing further

COMMUNITY SERVICE/ FUND RAISING/RISK MANAGEMENT

Still in lockdown. Patrick indicated that his working group was considering options for the Christmas collection.

INTERNATIONAL

Nothing further

VOCATIONAL

Council expressed the view that it thought each member taking a turn at “their career” talk was to be welcomed.

August -Frank

September-Gill

October- Peter WB

November- Barbara

January- Trevor

YOUTH.

Gill advised that the 4 clubs were not meeting until October. The idea of Christmas boxes was raised.

FOUNDATION /PR/WEBSITE

Website being updated.

8.ATTENDANCE -Generally good

9.AOB- Council decided not to recommend that a zoom license be bought. District promotion of masks and Christmas cards

discussed.

NEXT COUNCIL MEETING: 7th September 2020.